Thursday 25 October 2007

Full of nits

I know this will seem weird, being a bloke and all, but I am teaching my girlfriend to knit. My mum taught me and my two brothers to knit when we were young as something to do on those cold winter nights when we were stuck indoors with nothing to do. Back then there were no computers or playstations to muck about with so I suppose knitting was the obvious choice as far as my mother was concerned. I'm sure there was an element of rebelling against the system by getting us in touch with our feminine side at an early age as well as the possibility that instead of three boys she would have liked to have had a girl. I'm glad she didn't take up cross stitch until we were much, much older.
However, the knitting serves two purposes. It means that Gill will be able to make clothes and blankets and booties for the baby and it will keep her hands and mind occupied while she tries to stop smoking as well as keeping her quiet so that I can do the things that I want to do. So that's three purposes actually. Anyway, with a bit of luck the first blanket should be finished before it starts to get warm again. All she is doing is knitting squares which she can stitch together which is how I started. The only trouble is that I can't remember how to cast off but I'm confident that I will remember when the time comes. If not, I can always ask my mum.

1 comment:

Donna said...

Knit 2 stitches, then pass the first one over the second one, knit another stitch, pass the first over the second etc. Remember now??